Alternative application process

I want to live and work in Canada but I am not eligible under the Federal Skilled Worker Class application, are there other options for me?

That is a common question I receive from my readers who send their resume for assessment. For easy reference, I decided to post here my reply to these kind of questions.

Depending on your circumstances and how much you are willing to help yourself, there are ways more than one that you may do to get a Permanent Resident Visa and or legally work in Canada.

1. Contact your friends or relatives who are now in Canada. Ask them to help you find a job offer by referring you to their respective employers and other contacts. They are in the best position to help you. Or if applicable, they may help you get a PR Visa through Provincial Nominee Program.

2. Maximize the use of internet and email. Look for job vacancies in Canada that match your profile. Send your resume with a good cover letter. There are many job posting sites where you can find job vacancies in Canada. But to avoid scammers like that in the case of OMNI Hotel Scam, I suggest you look for job vacancies from Canada Job Bank, which is a government owned website. You may also want to check these Canada Jobs Online Portals that I highly recommend.

3. Once you find an employer who is willing to hire you, that employer needs to apply for Labor Market Opinion (LMO) from Human Resource Social Development Canada. Your employer will then send you the LMO. There is also a chance that an employer may be willing to sponsor you through Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) or process an Arranged Employment Opinion (AEO) for you. (LMO is for workp permit application. AEO supports a permanent resident visa application)

4. If you already have the LMO/AEO, you may now file your application for Temporary Resident Visa - Work Permit or Permanent Resident Visa at the the Visa Office near you. To check which Visa Office may handle your application, click here

Filipino workers who already have a Labor Market Opinion (LMO) and need assistance on filing an application for Temporary Resident Visa - Work Permit, may email me at We will guide you throughout the process and will help you get a higher chance of approval.

If you want to go to Canada as a Tourist, Student or a Temporary Worker,

You will have to submit an application for a Temporary Residents Visa at the Canadian Embassy.

Embassy address:

Levels 6-8, Tower 2
RCBC Plaza
6819 Ayala Avenue
Makati City 1200
PO Box 2098

Telephone : (02) 857-9000
Fax : (02) 843-1082 (02) 8579173

Hours of Operation
Monday to Thursday
8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.

8:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Consular Hours
Monday to Thursday
9:00 to 11:30 a.m.
1:00 to 3:00 p.m.
9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Immigration and Visa
Open to the public
Monday to Thursday
8:00 to 11:30 a.m.

You may apply direct to the Embassy, there are three types of Temporary residents Visa.

* Single-entry visa allows one entry only to Canada within the validity of the visa

* Multiple-entry visa allows unlimited entries to Canada within the validity of the visa.

* Transit visa allows for a short stop-over (maximum 48 hours) entry to Canada en route to another country. It can be granted for a single or multiple entries, depending on the applicant’s travel requirements. Example: If your return travel is also through Canada, you should request a transit visa valid for two entries.

The validity of a visa is determined by a visa officer. Single-entry visas are normally valid for six months, and multiple-entry visas may be valid for longer periods. The validity date is the period by which you may enter Canada. The decision to admit the foreign national, however, is made by the officer at the port of entry to Canada (airport or border crossing). The officer also determines the length of stay allowed.

Note that the Embassy cannot issue visas with a validity that exceeds the passport validity. If your passport will expire soon, you may wish to renew it before you apply for your visa.

You may want to visit the Citizenship and Immigration website to find out the forms and procedures that you should take in applying.

Based on our experience in processing tourist visa's, you should meet the following factors to get a higher percentage on getting your application approved.

* the applicant’s travel and identity documents;
* the reason for travel to Canada and the applicant’s contacts there;
* the applicant’s financial means for the trip;
* the applicant’s ties to his or her country of residence, including immigration status, employment and family ties;
* whether the applicant would be likely to leave Canada at the end of the authorized stay;
* the applicant’s health condition.

Should you have more questions or need help on your tourist visa application, you may email me at

Article reference []


Address: Unit 301, 3rd Floor, NorthLink Bldg, SMNorth EDSA 1105 Quezon City, Philippines Tel No: 0917 820 2531 Email: